medications

I am taking Efavirenz and Lamivudine combined with Zidovudine, I have only been diagnosed in early 2011, my Cd4 count was 10, should I be taking Atripla and are the tablets I am taking good or are there better ?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the question.

You should ask your medical provider why this combination was chosen instead of Atripla. Sometimes there are reasons that one combination may be better than others. For example, if your virus carried a certain resistance mutation called K65R, the zidovudine might have an advantage over the medicine (tenofovir) in Atripla. Also if you had kidney problems this combination may be safer. The other drugs (lamivudine and efavirenz) are the same or essentially the same as the drugs in Atripla (emtricitabine and efavirenz) so there would be no advantage of one over the other.

Best, Joe

What is the best medication for treatment of severe pain associated with HIV/AIDS
schizophrenia