I am only 34 but my short term memory is bad

I have noticed over the last year I had been forgetting more and more. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with advanced aids. My short term memory short is now forgetful. My cd4 is low around 125 and viral load is 4000 last checked - I hope to start on meds tomorrow. Have to set out reminders all over the place just to get through my normal day. Please advise.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Studies indicate that over half of persons infected with HIV experience a neurocognitive disorder, although some may have no symptoms. The most severe impairments such as dementia are relatively rare, while milder cognitive problems can be more common. Severity seems to be related to the one's lowest CD4 count (nadir). Studies indicate that prospective memory (remembering to remember) is most affected by HIV. This is consistent with what you describe by having to leave notes around to remind yourself of tasks (although that is sometimes common for people who don't have HIV!). You need to discuss this with your physician who may refer you to a neuropsychologist for further testing.

Can excessive pot smoking cause mental problems?
What is the best medication for treatment of severe pain associated with HIV/AIDS