Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dementia? Slowly losing my grip
Feb 17, 2011

I was originally diagnosed 19 years ago with PCP. I have AIDS. undetectable viral load and under 100 t- cells and I seem to be having a very difficult time with my mental state. Mainly anger. I recently had an episode with a health care provider who ignored me and referred to me as "the guy with AIDS" Between anger and thoughts of suicide Am I losing my mind? I feel like I am slowly losing my grip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Dealing with all the feelings that arise when living with the virus takes constant effort and it's not uncommon to have periods when this is more difficult. Over time one's emotional resilience can be worn away, which can lead to being easily frustrated and having difficulty controlling anger. I'd recommend trying to identify and appropriately express your feelings as they come up. Having a friend or support group who can listen and provide feedback and strategies is really helpful. The old trick of counting to 10 really works, as does deep breathing. Even "justifiable anger," such as you felt when being called "the guy with AIDS" carries a big price tag in terms of emotional and physical health. Such a statement is outrageous anywhere, but especially so in a health care setting. That incident should be brought to the attention of whoever is in charge of that office, and your message will be stronger if you are calm and assertive. Finally, if you have any thoughts of suicide or self-harm don't wait, get help immediately.

Previous
Vitamins to help w/ many issues
Next
Can excessive pot smoking cause mental problems?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.