In regards to Can't deal with the anguish of HIV

I am also in anguish about being HIV positive and have been for 13 yrs and am still in good health. I have and still do feel the same as you and do go to a counselor. Even though doctors and people keep telling me to look at how long Magic Johnson has had it. Well the sad truth is he has the money and the insurance to get above average care. Myself, I am an average person living from paycheck to paycheck and a job with no benefits. My case workers isn't the greatest and keeps telling me to get a job with benefits. Easier said than done. My point is do not give in to HIV -- Let HIV give in to you.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I am glad you are in good health and actively taking steps to stay that way. Access to good medical care is critical for anyone living with the virus. Unfortunately this remains a struggle for many people, especially when jobs are scarce (and those with insurance even more so). I live in Florida where we have run out of money for the ADAP program, leaving patients and the state struggling to find a solution to get people their medications. One way to speak of living with HIV is in terms of resilience, which is not so much a personal trait as a process in which a person promotes their own well-being by maintaining healthy personal relationships, social support, and other factors that increase self esteem and a sense of personal control. Getting involved in your community with support groups, and try advocacy work on behalf of HIV funding and services. It is a great way to channel energy, build a social network, and really make a difference.

Why am I confusing numbers with letters... "p" and a "9" or "6" and a"g".... mostly when typing or reading?
A little concerned