when should we call hospice

My unlce has been in 3 hospitals in the last 2 months with cryptococal Meningitis. He is 65 years old with HIV for 2 years. He has never taken any medications and now he he is sufering, he can't eat or talk and my family does not want him to go on this way. At what point should we call hospice and end the treatment?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I know from personal experience that the decision to engage hospice is very painful. There are many factors that must be considered, including, of course, the wishes of your uncle. This is the time to assemble your medical team to guide you with information and support. Speak with representatives of one or more hospice agencies. You will find them to be kind, comforting, and a resource for your family as well as your uncle.

Follow-up To Depression Meds With HIV Meds
hiv/aids causing abdomen pain