Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Whats with the stigma?
Jan 6, 2011

Ive noticed alot of stigma attatched to being HIV pos, I had an OI which almost killed me in 04 but I bounced back only to go on ssdi because of anxiety issues. Ive noticed now when I try and open any doors they all seem closed, its almost like you are a leper in others eyes. Im pissed off at the world, people in general and have no compassion towards others anymore. I therapist and doctors for all of this but I had a promising career and now Im left with padding around my house, this is very real and Im not BSing, I have tried numerous attemps to go back to school, to become active in the community by volunteering but it seems that all dorrs close to me. Angry at all of it still. PS I dont get much help from therapist who talk to me as a cld and all the bla bla bla, I was a skilled electrician for 20 years before all of this and when some 23 yr old intern tries to tell me about life I feel like spitting on her. What fun this dsease is once u get an OI which by the way was misdiagnosed which is why it got so bad. No recourse against doctors or anything...I feel someone should pay for their mistakes.. D

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Stigma remains an enormous reality for anyone living with HIV/AIDS. Many people experience multiple layers of stigma, including physical illness, disability, mood problems, financial concerns, etc. I commend your attempts to recreate your life by going back to school and volunteering, and I encourage you to be persistent. There are many people just like you who can become a powerful example and help break stigma. I also recommend that you find a counselor or support group of peers where you are comfortable and can express (and get rid of!) your anger. It's not healthy for you to carry that around.

Previous
HAART & Gingko Biloba?
Next
My Mom has Aids T cell count 3

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.