Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Memory Loss & Coordination Skills
Jan 6, 2011

I've been positive now for 11 years. I am still on my first HAART medications. Combivir and Viramune. I also take Acyclovir, Vytorin, and testosterone injections every two weeks. My viral load has always been undetectable, lately, it has been slightly detectable put still under 500. My cd4 count has been anywhere from 640 to 1280 over the last year, most recently around 897.

Lately over the last 3 to 4 months I have been experiencing significant memory loss. I forget emails that people send me at work, I will forget a phone conversation I just had, sometimes I will get home and suddenly realize, I don't remember how I got home, not remembering stop lights, traffic, etc. I miss appointments and meetings, even when they've been scheduled and added to my calendar with reminders. I forget my wallet, medication, keys, even when I post notes on the door to the garage so I can "see" those reminders before I leave the house.

I've also been dropping things. I reach for something and come up short or end up going too long and knock the object over. If I manage to pick sometime up, about 70% of the time I drop it and spill the contents. I have always been a bit uncoordinated (my friends and family have always joked about it), but lately my mishaps have been greatly increased and I am worse than my usual accident-prone self.

Should I seek further medical attention for this?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Congratulations on maintaining your health and your medication regimen - you have many alternatives available should you need them. Many people with HIV worry about memory issues. It is not unusual for stress or fatigue to affect anyone's concentration and memory. Forgetting how to get home or constantly dropping or spilling things is more serious, however, and could indicate a problem. HIV can cause a variety of neuromuscular disorders and neuropathies that need to be diagnosed and treated. You should absolutely follow up with your doctor about these concerns. He/she may recommend a neuropsychological examination or other medical tests which can better determine what might be happening.

Previous
Mental Therapy?
Next
HAART & Gingko Biloba?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.