5-HTP and L-Tyrosine for depression?

I am on Truvada, Norvir and Reyataz and my CD4 has climbed from 90 to 400+ over the past three years and my VL has been undetectable for twq years.

Obviously I am pleased with these results and don't want to risk undermining this great regimen (no side effects)

I do, however, have severe treatment resistant depression and have seen many mental health professionals over the past decade to no avail. Drugs haven't worked.

I recently researched alternative treatments - I have just stopped a lengthy and expensive 18 month stint in private psychotherapy and I am no undergoing hypnotherapy. I have started taking 200 mg of 5-HTP and 100 mg of Tyrosine and also Omega 3 fish oil capsules (2000 mg per day) and although it is early days (and might be a placebo effect) I am feeling a bit better. I want to stick with these supplements for a while. Do you see any problems with 5-HTP and Tyrosine etc while on HAART?

Thanks to you and your colleagues for such a wonderfully helpful and informative forum.

Trevor San Francisco

Response from Dr. Horwath

I am not aware of any interaction between 5-HTP or tyrosine and HAART.

HIV and Bipolar-Mental Health
test