Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

window period question
Jan 11, 2009

I am a healthcare worker. I had an incident in which it would have been very unlikely to contract HIV - I felt a sharp object through my glove, and although there was a dent in the glove I could not see any injury on my finger. The sharp in question was not meant to be in contact with blood, and wasn't visibly bloody. I know the odds of transmission are extremely low but I have had severe anxiety since this incident and would really like to put it behind me. My question is, how certain can I really be of a negative test at three months? The incident was four weeks ago, and I can't imagine waiting more than a couple of months longer to get tested and to feel certain. I understand that there is a small percentage of people who do not seroconvert within three months, and I know that I will remain anxious after testing if I can't clear this up. Will taking a DNA PCR test at the same time as an antibody test increase the sensitivity of testing so I can be more certain that I'm negative?

Thank you very much for your help.

Response from Dr. Horwath

If the sharp object was not in contact with blood and not visibly bloody, and if your glove was not broken, then there is no chance of HIV infection.

Previous
How long does it take?
Next
Mental Health

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.