Could I be negative?

In March of 2001, I was diagnosed HIV positive. First, I was made to know of this diagnosis from an insurance oral swab test. I then went to a clinic to get a blood test and it also came back positive.(twice) Ever since then up until present I have gone to my local clinic every 3 months to get my numbers checked. Thank God, I have NEVER had my levels go above undetectable and my CD4 count has always been normal.

Recently, I changed to a private physician and he referred me to an infectious disease specialist. When I told the doctor of my history he was very surprised that I, an african-american male had never had a "blip" in my viral load count. He said that is very rare, especially for an african american due to genetic factors. He has since ordered tests, one of which is the Western Blot. I am awaiting the results. Could I be negative after all these years? I have never had to take any HIV medication.

In a situation like mine, how often does this happen? False positives or just an undetectable viral load for more than five years.

Thank you. I await your response.

D

Response from Dr. Horwath

False positives on the Western blot are quite rare. The undetectable viral load is not an indication that the antibody tests were wrong.

hiv transmission
Weird dreams on Sustiva