how long can hiv be dormant

give me a range of about how many years hiv can stay dormant in the body before it is detected

Response from Dr. Horwath

HIV can be "dormant" in the body for many years if by "dormant" you mean that it is not producing any clinical signs or symptoms of illness. However, even if it is clinically "dormant" it is not dormant in terms of activity. Even without symptoms, HIV can be reproducing itself by millions of new copies every day.

Also, the virus can be clinically silent, but it is still detectable by the HIV antibody test.

pregnant wife tested hiv positive and I tested negative
Hiv-Aids will could be cured in 4 years time says Hiv Noble prize winning Professor