pregnant wife tested hiv positive and I tested negative

I have been with my wife for 13 years in an on off relationship throughout.During this period I have had a couple of relationships.My wife has recently admitted to seeing other men. Last November we hit another bad patch in our relationship and my wife cut off sexual relations with me and moved out of our matrimonial house. By April this year we had patched up our relationship and decided to try for a baby.(We already have 2, a 12 and 10yr old. On prenatal screening my wife was diagnosed HIV positive and immediately put on ARVs. I tested negative. My wife was ealier diagnosed with 'thick blood' prior to all this. Now she contends that she never exposed herself to risk. In fact she claims she did not engage in any sexual activities with any other guy besides myself. I am really devasted by all this. My question is, is this possible for me to be negative and her to be positive and is there a possibility of her having had a false positive result? How accurate are these results? And if they are false would the cocktail of drugs she is taking affect our unborn baby? She is taking combivar and Kaletra.

Response from Dr. Horwath

If you test negative and she tests positive, then she was not infected by you. However, you have both had other partners, so there is no room for pointing fingers of blame here. Since she is HIV positive and pregnant, she needs to take the treatment that is recommended in order to prevent the infection from being passed to the baby. She also needs to be followed closely by her obstetrician and HIV doctor to make sure the antiretroviral treatment is effective.

False positive HIV tests are extremely rare.

Esberitox N
how long can hiv be dormant