Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconversion and a Dr's Diagnosis
Oct 10, 2008

My GP & HIV DR's in '06 diagnosed me as HIV+ and he said that it was a recent infection calling it seroconversion. My question is my CD4 was 330 (cells/microl)and my viral load was excessivly high - was that a correct diagnosis?. He said that I was infected within 3 months of this diagnosis. I accepted this as fact from 2 medical Dr's although it made no sense to me at the time as I was in a steady (safe sex) relationship for 5 years and my partner had tested neg on 2 seperarte occasions after my diagnosis - I saw the results with my own eyes. So I accepted that somehow I had received it in a less than usual fashion. Although previously I had a relationship prior 2 this relationship that may have been more high risk. In 2001 I also tested neg before I started this long term relationship. My question is it possible that I was in the window period (3 months) and tested neg and brought my status into the relationship without really knowing it? And secondly how do I go about informing my expartner in a confidential/safe/compassionate way that she may be positive as well without going against my initial Dr's diagnosis of seroconversion and freaking her out for nothing. Please I need advise from a medical and ethical point of view.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The main issue seems to be that you are HIV+ and you need to inform your ex-partner and advise her to get tested again. That is the ethical thing to do.

Although it was the doctor's opinion that you were tested during seroconversion, at this point there is no way to know precisely when you were infected.

Previous
Doubts about and need for HIV information
Next
safe withdrawal from klonopin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.