HIV and Neurological Problems

Dear Ewald Horwath, M.D.,

Neurological problems similar to the following anxiety (severe), muscle twitches (all over body), muscle/joint pain (non-consistent stops for a few seconds, and then starts back up in a few seconds, and then comes back again and again, usually lasting a few minutes, then moving to another part of the body), shooting pains in arms (starting at fingers) and legs (starting at heals) is NOT an early symptom or stage of HIV disease, am I correct?

The reason why I ask is, I have the above symptoms and have been diagnosed with Lyme disease. Searching the net I found out that a false positive for Lyme disease means the person may have the HIV virus. This makes me worry, so to bring to an end, my worry I figured to ask a professional like you.

Thank you so much,

Response from Dr. Horwath

If you have been diagnosed with Lyme disease, then you need to consult an infectious disease doctor or Lyme specialist. The symptoms that you describe are consistent with Lyme disease, but the diagnosis requires taking into account your history, a physical exam and laboratory findings.

At this point, there is no reason to believe you have HIV. If you're concerned about HIV, then you should have an HIV screening test.

pain medications
HIV testing and medication