Group Therapy and Counseling Resources

Dear Michael,

I am writing as a graduate student in Counseling and an HIV Positive gay man. I'm interested in any/all resources in counseling (individually), marital/family therapy models and group psychotherapy with gay men with HIV Disease. I've developed my own presentations, but am always interested in more resources for research. Thanks,

Response from Mr. Shernoff

By this stage in the epidemic there is a plethora of published articles and books on this topic. Books on the mental health needs of gay men living with HIV are being published all the time. Several excellent books that are recent that are not specific to gay men but contain excellent information are:

Aronstein & Thompson (Eds) (1998) HIV and Social Work: A Practictioner's Guide, Binghamton, NY" Harrington Park Press

Blechner, M (1997) Hope and Mortality: Psychodynamic Approaches to HIV and AIDS, The Analytic Press

Cadwell, Burnham & Forstein, (Eds) (1994) Therapists on the Front Line; Psychotherapy With Gay Men in the Age of AIDS, American Psychiatric Press

Catalan (Ed) (1999) Mental Health & HIV infection, London: University College/London Press

Shernoff, M (1999) AIDS and Mental Health Practice: Clinical and Policy Issues Haworth Press

Shernoff & Smith (2000)HIV Treatment: Mental Health Aspects of Antiviral Therapy, San Francisco, UCSF AIDS Health Project

I strongly suggest you do a literature search in order to locate the list of published articles. They are too numerous for me to begin to list them here

MIchael Shernoff, MSW

Worried well and not sure about mental counseling
Hmmm, just wondering