Am I in AIDS stage already?

Last quarter of 2007 i was hospitalized due to pneumonia and presumed PCP.prior to that, months before,I experienced long term fever and mouth sores.Then january 2008 i was diagnosed positive.I was forced to take ARV medications.Now I have presumed CMV Retinitis.I dont know what my CD4 and viral load count since Im living in the province of a third world country.I would just like to know if at my stage, Am I in AIDS stage? or still in HIV stage.please help me.My doctors were confusing.

Response from Dr. Horwath

In 1993, the U.S. Center for Disease Control published an updated definition of an AIDS case. Being HIV positive and having PCP or CMV retinitis meets the CDC definition of AIDS.

In your case, the important point is that your doctors are treating you with antiretroviral medications. If you take your medication every day as directed, this will give you the best hope of preventing future opportunistic infections and other complications.

Hiv Detection status
help