Depressed

Hi Dr. McGowan, I look at your question and answer website and I am so intrigued with a lot of the questions and responses. I have been positive since July 1988. My T cell count has dropped, but not tremendously. I am now at 1400, previously, I was at 2000. My doctor keeps telling me that I am doing great especially for being positive for 10 years. I've lost weight and I get tired of people asking me if I am alright. No one and I mean no one knows that I am positive except my doctor. Sometimes it hurts keeping something like this to myself. I am 51 years old, I retired from work two years ago and I am now working on a Master's degree in Nursing. Sometimes I feel like giving up, just from the mental aspect that I have about the whole thing, but I really want to finish my 2nd career, (nursing). My questions are:

Response from Dr. McGowan

Unfortuantely your question was cut off.

I am very gald you have done so well having had HIV for over 20 years. You do not mention if you are on treatment or if you are a "elite non-progressor" off meds. Either way you are doing great. Your plans for a nursing career show that you are also getting on with your life. I do think that not having support from family, friends or loved ones can make things very stressful for you. Perhaps you might find some help at a support group at your HIV treatment center or community-based organization. Sometimes having someone to bounce things off can be a great help.

Best of luck,

Joe

Had Lymph nodes in my neck and tested + CD4 count 585
main side effects for ATRIPLA