Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed
Sep 30, 2008

Hi Dr. McGowan, I look at your question and answer website and I am so intrigued with a lot of the questions and responses. I have been positive since July 1988. My T cell count has dropped, but not tremendously. I am now at 1400, previously, I was at 2000. My doctor keeps telling me that I am doing great especially for being positive for 10 years. I've lost weight and I get tired of people asking me if I am alright. No one and I mean no one knows that I am positive except my doctor. Sometimes it hurts keeping something like this to myself. I am 51 years old, I retired from work two years ago and I am now working on a Master's degree in Nursing. Sometimes I feel like giving up, just from the mental aspect that I have about the whole thing, but I really want to finish my 2nd career, (nursing). My questions are:

Response from Dr. McGowan

Unfortuantely your question was cut off.

I am very gald you have done so well having had HIV for over 20 years. You do not mention if you are on treatment or if you are a "elite non-progressor" off meds. Either way you are doing great. Your plans for a nursing career show that you are also getting on with your life. I do think that not having support from family, friends or loved ones can make things very stressful for you. Perhaps you might find some help at a support group at your HIV treatment center or community-based organization. Sometimes having someone to bounce things off can be a great help.

Best of luck,

Joe

Previous
Had Lymph nodes in my neck and tested + CD4 count 585
Next
main side effects for ATRIPLA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.