Time period of HIV

Hi, I was wondering if there was any way you could estimate on how long you had HIv? I was recently diagnosed and I cannot remember my last negative test.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The length of time from infection is correlated with the level of antibodies, which rise over time after the initial exposure. There is also a correlation between a measure called "Avidity Index" and length of time after exposure. Avidity index is a measure of the strength of the interaction between antigen and the antibody.

These measures are used primarily in research studies that are attempting to determine the incidence of HIV infection, or the number of new infections occurring in a population.

Broken skin on hands
still anxious