Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False positive Ora-quick Please help
Aug 28, 2008

Hello, please help me with some advice. i tested positive via ora-quick hiv 1/2 kit at the local clinic it was reactive with a very faint line. They ran a second test that was negative and had me return at 3 months, and six months past exposure. Both tests were negative. I am concerned because they never ran a western blot to follow up the first reactive ora-quick, they only ran a standard eia. I am alo worried about an exposure i had ten years ago with a girl from Botswana africa. I am worried because i am afraid that i may have contracted HIV 0 or hiv N and thats why that first test was slightly re-active. I went to my doctor who is not an expert and he ran a test through lab corp that read hiv 1/0/2 non reactive/negative. He then put me on Lexapro because of my stress over this scare. Doctor, have i done enough to rule out hiv? I want my life back, and i am sorry that i am not strong enough to deal with this when there are people suffering worse than I. Please help me? Thanks and Gpod bless

Response from Dr. Horwath

HIV antibody tests consist of 2 parts. Part 1 is a screening test known as the ELISA. It is very sensitive and great for screening, but it does sometimes produce a false positive because of its high sensitivity. For this reason, the HIV antibody test is not considered positive unless confirmed by the Western blot (part 2).

The OraQuick test is equivalent to an ELISA screening test. A positive result must be considered preliminary until confirmed by a more specific test, such as Western blot.

Your tests are negative. You are suffering from anxiety and should seek additional treatment if the Lexapro doesn't help.

Previous
need reassurance about my anxiety!
Next
Lymph Nodes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.