Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need reassurance about my anxiety!
Aug 28, 2008

hi dr horwath!..i recently developed an hiv phobia i guess you can say. i dont know where it came from but its giving me such bad anxiety. i do not do drugs nor have unprotected sex but yet still feel that it can happen through normal everyday occurences.(when i know it cant) for instance i was in the city one night out and felt a sharp poke in my arm. i started freaking out thinking someone crazy pricked me. i know this shouldnt be a reason to be concerned but isnt it better to be safe then sorry? or do u just think its my paranoia kicking in. im actually really concerned about it but wouldnt i have seen a dot of blood or my arm would have at least hurt or something? i might be acting totally irrational to most people but im really nervous and would like to hear what u think. everyone keeps saying that if in any way i got "poked" or "pricked" i would definitely know, not just think i did..anyway thank you for all your hard work!

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are suffering from an anxiety disorder and should seek treatment.

You are not at risk for HIV infection.

Previous
ELISA + Western Blot - on 4 different occasions
Next
False positive Ora-quick Please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.