Rape and HIV fear

3 weeks ago, I was date raped by this guy. Of course, he didn't use a condom. 12 days after the incident, I got flu-like symptoms which come and go - sore throat and sometimes my legs/arms are hot as if I have a fever. But when I check my body temperature, it's normal. Even now, my right leg feels hot and my throat feels funny. I've had some muscle pain but no swollen lymph nodes.

I haven't told anyone about the rape which angers me as well as possible HIV. Are these symptoms of early HIV?

Response from Dr. Horwath

First, you should report the rape. There is no reason to let him get away with this.

The symptoms you are having are very non-specific. They could be due to anxiety or a variety of other causes other than HIV. The only way to know if you've been exposed is to go for an HIV antibody test. You can get tested now, but it will be more conclusive if you wait 12 weeks after potential exposure.

HIV subtypes and testing
scared to death