Drugs Suggestion

Prior to my recent diagnosis, I was on a steady dose of Zoloft 50 mg and doing well. Since the diagnosis three months ago, everything has fallen apart mental health wise. I am depressed and anxious all the time. I have not been able to work much, and none of the things I used to care about seem to matter any more and I am in a constant anxious state. I am getting to the point where just getting off bed is painful. Clearly, the Zoloft is not working. Are there any other medications that have proven particularly helpful to individuals dealing with HIV related depression and anxiety disorders? I just can't go on living this way.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The problem is not with the Zoloft, but with the dose. A dose of 50 mg/day is not adequate for most adults. You may have done well on that dose previously, but now with the new stresses you are experiencing, the dose is insufficient. For adults, the usual therapeutic range is 100-200 mg/day. Consult with your doctor about increasing the dose.

HIV+ and anxiety
Lymph node tenderness