PCR TESTING

Hi

This situation is stressing me out and I hope you can assist.

I went on PEP - COMBIVIR within 48 hours of possible exposure - I was on the course for 4 week. A week after I finnished the course I had my first HIV, ELISA & PCR test done which were all negative and was told not to worry.Another month after that I again went for a HIV,ELISA and PCR test done and it was negative.Would the PEP have any influence on these test results and do I have to do any other tests as I was told the PCR is very accurate but lately I have been getting mussle paints in my arms and read that it could be a symptom. Please assist as this is stressing me out.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Horwath

The PCR tests provide accurate results within 3-4 weeks. You can be confident in the negative results.

The HIV antibody tests (ELISA and Western blot) are better screening tests because they have lower rates of false positives and are much less expensive than PCR.

drugs for aids
My spouse is HIV positive and we are trying to get pregnant?