Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Response to intentional infection
Jul 13, 2008

Earlier I saw a post from a man saying he was intentionally infected with HIV. Just wanted to tell the poster in most states this is a crime and it can be proven. The virus can be traced mutations and all back to it's host. I understand there is huge danger to HIV positive people as far as getting railroaded and charged even if sex was consentual. I'm posting just to let the man asking for help know that if you were infected on purpose you can have your day in court. Please dont resort to violence and get arrested. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I would like to add that each of us has the responsibility to protect ourselves from being infected with HIV. That means practicing safe sex and not injecting drugs with contaminated needles. This is within the control of each of us.

This means that by having consenting sex with another person, it is the responsibility of each person to protect themselves. A sexual partner can "intentionally" lie about his or her HIV status, but the other partner also makes an "intentional" decision to have sex (or not) and to use (or not to use) protection during sex. For this reason, each of us needs to take responsibility for decisions regarding having sex and using protection during sex.

Previous
Depressed: Infected my partner; legal situations; no job..no purpose..no worth
Next
My husband is HIV POSITIVE border line Aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.