Trazodone dosage

My pshychiatrist put me on 150 mg of trazodone at bedtime to induce sleep. I have been waking up too early in the morning, after only 6 hours of sleep, and this seems to be counterproductive of the intended effect (good sleep). I am a retired physician myself, HIV and HCV coinfected, and I wonder if I should reduce Trazodone to 100 mg at bedtime instead of higher doses. I do need your help, please. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Trazodone is a good choice and a very effective medication for sleep. If your current dose is not sufficient, it is probably best to try a slightly higher dose (like 200 mg at bedtime). However, you should do this with the consultation of your doctor. With higher doses, it is important to watch out for side effects like dizziness or oversedation upon rising from sleep. reducing the dose is not likely to help you sleep better.

Atripla/Depression
DEMENTIA