Atripla/Depression

I was on atripela for 15 months, became undetectable and my CD4 is at 800. BUT it appears the Sustiva part of the drug attacked my central nervous system causing me to be depressed and develope Bi-Polar I syndrom. I am making the switch with my doctor who has me know only on Truvada while the Atripla leaves my body. What kind of drug regime should I expect next.....I am very scared.

In need of advice

Response from Dr. Horwath

I really don't know which drug regimen would be best for you next. This is a discussion to have with your HIV specialist.

It is true that Sustiva (efavirenz), which is a component of Atripla, can cause depression and other types of emotional disturbances. However, there are quite a few other drugs available that can substitute for efavirenz, but do not cause psychiatric problems. The other widely used, effective drug from the same class (non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors) is Viramune (nevirapine); nevirapine does not cause these side effects.

For the most part, the protease inhibitors is another group of drugs that can be used instead of efavirenz and may be appropriate substitutes. You have many options and you should remain hopeful that you'll find an effective treatment without intolerable side effects.

Can I get b ack my sexual desires?
Trazodone dosage