Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Denied LTD
May 25, 2008

The co.I worked for for 14 years has a LTD policy for managers.I was denied LTD coverage. I can appeal but their requirements for info from the doctors is so fuzzy.I have also been seeing a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety.It seems the insurance company only considered the mental side of it.After 4 and 1/2 years of meds,my viral load is undetectable,yet my CD4 count is only 140.This causes extreme exhaustion and many times I would have to leave work early or stay out.This is a retail store with 60 employees and I do not have the energy or stamina to do the 45+ hours required.I am also have been diagnosed with bi-polar dosorder.Oh,I was the store manager over 60 employees.I am going to appeal,but who can help me find out exactly what the insurance co. wants -A lawyer or a case worker at an AIDS clinic?Oh,I also have neuropathy in my feet-I was told by our benefits dept.that the insurance was based on whether I could do my current job,not any job.Who could possibly manage 60 employees feeling exhausted,whirling thoughts in my head,and neuropathy in my feet

Response from Dr. Horwath

What you need is a lawyer with experience in area of disability insurance or labor laws. It is impossible to comment on your situation without a legal expert reviewing the exact terms of your company's long-term disability insurance. With the right assistance, hopefully, you can receive the benefits to which you are entitled.

Previous
Psychosocial Support for Children
Next
hiv+, medicines and no health insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.