didn't know

After 3 years of living together, my now husband got sick and I learned he had aids.(unprotected sex)He had known for years. Long story short, that was 15 years ago and we are married. He is healthy and living with aids but his whole personality is changing and he does not treat me very well.He has not been sick since 1996. Could med changes of HIV change his personality?

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm sorry but your question is a bit unclear.

If you're asking whether HIV can change a person's personality, then the answer is yes. If someone develops advanced AIDS, this can cause problems with memory and other changes in thinking (eg. dementia) that can look like a personality change. However, it's difficult to say what is going on with your husband. If he's not treating you well, there are many possible explanations that may have nothing to do with HIV.

Burnt
Aids and Mental Health