Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

wife is hiv +ve & husband -ve
May 5, 2008

i have been married for over a year and have a week old daughter. i have been hiv +ve for the past 9 yrs, however my husband & child are both negative. i did not confess my hiv status prior to marriage since i had i no trust in him. despite resisting premarital sex, his consistent persuasion and disrgard for my regular request for protection we did have sex before marriage. even after marriage everytime i felt the need to confess, i realized i was being a fool since he himself has never been true to me as i always tried to be. yet it bothered me that i was hiding a huge truth from my husband and finally told him. he has been tested -ve. now everything has changed. he is claiming superiority and often threatened full rights over the child. i'm yet sure but find it impossible to believe a seperation is inevitable . does hiv deprive me rights over my infant during separation ? my relationship with my husband is over, my only concern lies in what he demands on grounds of me being hiv ? what should i do ?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Being HIV positive does not affect your parental rights at all. Your husband is just saying this to try and intimidate you. You have every right to have custody of your child if this becomes contested in your separation. Remember that judges still tend to favor allowing mothers to have primary custody over children, especially infants like your baby. As long as you can show the judge that you are a good mother, take proper care of the baby and take care of your own health (e.g. get medical treatment), then you should be able to convince a judge to allow you to have custody. I recommend getting a good lawyer to help you with this.

Previous
atripila adderall
Next
decline?, Atripla?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.