The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lost my Mind

Apr 28, 2008

Well Last night i was alone for the first time in a long while. I couldn't sleep. I started Breaking dishes and I ended the night by painting my body in red paint? I found out i was positive in December of 07 and lately I just haven't felt the same.

I wanted to ask are my actions just delayed emotions that i never dealt with when i found out i was positive? Because when i heard i was positive i didn't cry not for atleast 3 weeks. My semester of school was about to end and i had college cheerleading nationals to worry about to and working and keeping my grades up.

Even now i find myself wanting to cry but i dont. whats wrong with me have I lost my mind? or has the pressure around me just adding to what I have to deal with now?

Will I ever just accept what i have because even now i feel numb like nothing fases me any more.


Response from Dr. Horwath

Numbness is one type of reaction to upsetting news. But that should pass with time. You need to come to terms with this news. Given the difficulties you've been having, you should seek some help from a counseling center or mental health professional. You need to talk to someone about what it means to be HIV positive, and it would be best if it's someone with knowledge about HIV and AIDS.

Like many other people have done, you can adapt to being HIV positive. If you take care of your health and get appropriate medical care, then you should be able to lead a very productive life

the use of Tetracyclines

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint