The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what do i do?

Apr 27, 2008

im 19 years old and i've just been infected with hiv and herpes. because of my drug addiction i've been forced into prostitution and now i really want to quit but i dont know what to do. all i want to know is realistically, how long can i expect to live? thank you

Response from Dr. Horwath

You can expect to live for quite a long time, but you will have to take some action.

First, you need to get treatment for your drug dependence. Continuing drug abuse is not consistent with getting control of your health and your life.

Second, you need to get out of prostitution. It exposes you to many risks, including abusive and violent clients and others who are involved in drug abuse & prostitution.

Third, you need to get a medical evaluation to assess your general health and your immune system. When you say you were just infected, I'm assuming that you mean that you just learned that you are HIV+. You may not know how long you've been infected. A simple blood test, measuring your T cells (CD4 cells) will give important information about your immune status and whether you may need treatment.

If you do need treatment now, you should find a physician with experience in treating HIV/AIDS. The treatment is highly effective, but requires you to be consistent and adherent with your treatment in order to succeed.

Help for brother-nlaw
antidepressants-sex loss

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint