The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DR's and Prescription medications

Feb 25, 2008

I have noticed the majority of HIV doctors have stopped helping when it comes to the needs of medications for depression and or other needs. I can understand there focus on just HIV alone, but when you happen to have something that the Medications are causing, and or the progression of AIDS the doctors still will not help treat you for thos certain issues, not to mention getting referrals and not having the money to make the copays to see the other doctors or sometimes specialist one may need to see because your DR who cares for youw with HIV will not or has stopped treating you for all those other things that come up and they know you cannot afford to go see other doctors, my question is " why are these HIV docotrs doing this ? obviously they do not realize there hurting the patients more than helping by doing this. however if the problems is extremely serious I can understand, but to keep going to all these other doctors you end up not being able to take the care you need for HIV it's self ??

Response from Dr. Horwath

I don't know what the situation is with your own doctor, but not every doctor has adequate training in the use of psychotropic drugs. He may feel that he does not have sufficient expertise to prescribe antidepressants safely.

However, if he can't he help you himself, he should be able to provide a referral to someone who can help.

Brain fog and HIV
Help for brother-nlaw

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint