Restarting HIV Meds

Due to Insurance difficulties, my former employer dropping traditional health coverage in favor of HSA's, I was forced to take a break from ART.

During that time, my fatigue level increased, debilitating depression set-in and my cognitive functioning was negatively impacted.

Over time, my CD4 counts dropped below 350 and began having difficulty swallowing.

In the last 2 weeks I have begun ART again thanks to the ADAP program in my state. The improvements in this short time have been nothing short of miraculous.

My fatigue is down, depression seems less severe and cognitive functioning seems to be improving.

Is it possible that HIV had had such a directly negative effect on my mental health (and health) and the turn around from returning to ART could happen so quickly?

There have been negative side effects from the medication but the increased energy and mental state have been incredible. Hoping it's not temporary.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Yes, it is possible that HIV has had such a directly negative effect on your mental health and physical health. And yes, the turn around from returning to ART can happen quickly.

HIV can cause severe fatigue, slowed thinking and cognitive impairment. And HAART can lead to a dramatic improvement in psychological well-being and ability to function effectively.

Mental Health side efects of ART's
Brain fog and HIV