The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

childhood scars

Feb 17, 2008

dear dr As a child I was sexually abused for about 5 years by a family friend who later died of a "mysterious disease" In my last year of high school I found out I was hiv+. I tried to commit suicide. A year later my mother died of hiv and I later founf out that my two younger sister aged 5& 11 were also postive. Now I am so helpless as I am scared that if I pass away or get sick no one will take care of them. Also I have these moments were I just break down and cry endlessly for no apparent reason.Past and present emotions become so overwhelming.Its hard to keep a positive mind when situations difficult times never seem to end.I can handle having HIV but its difficult with all these emotional baggage that i cant let go off.I try to lead a positive life, l go to the gym, practice yoga etc. but the psychologiacl scars keep pulling me back. Its affecting even my work life. I am 21 years old.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It's understandable that your childhood experiences continue to have an effect on you. Early childhood sexual abuse can lead to depression and other psychologically painful reactions. You should consider getting some psychological treatment from a mental health professional with training and experience in treating persons with a history of sexual abuse.

Mental Health side efects of ART's

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint