shame of aids

I am depressed about my having to live with aids. I am also very ashamed that I exposed myself to the virus when I knew I shouldn't have done it. I do tell anyone I meet that I have it and I can't meet anyone online or in person because I feel I should tell them, especially if I plan to have sex, so I avoid meeting people. If some of the non sexual people that I know knew I have aids they would probably shocked. Some of the people write in their preferences on line to drug free and disease free. That makes me feel so bad and dirty. How can I rid myself of all this guilt and shame about having the disease? DISEASED

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are not bad or dirty because you have HIV. However, the guilt and shame you feel can be relieved by engaging in some treatment. You need an opportunity to talk about your feelings in a situation where you are not judged or criticized. This would be helpful, and would give you a chance to get relief from these problems.

HIV treatment and depression
Why did I slit my wrist?