Depression

i recently learned that my best friend and her daughter are HIV positive. ever since i heard the news i couldn't sleep, eat or anything. i cry a lot and i am sad that i have turned this way when i should be stronger to help them out.

should i start anti depressants? and should i recommend my friend to be on one as well? what drug do you recommend?

Response from Dr. Horwath

You're sad and upset. This is not necessarily the same as depression. Feeling sad about your friend and her daughter is appropriate to the situation. I don't think you should jump to the conclusion that you need antidepressants, and you haven't given any reason that your friend should be treated.

HIV mental state
hiv counselling