started meds and now lexapro

Been really tired and out of it over the past three months. Spent a couple of weeks in hospital last month as my CD4 count dropped rapidly for no apparent reason (been + 2 years). Started on meds 5 weeks ago (dapsone, kivexa and sustiva). Now I am having trouble sleeping, feel spaced out most of the time and my emotions are all over the place. My doctor has perscribed me with lexapro. My worry is that I dont know if I need it... but with my constant headaches and edgeness I just might. Would it be alright if I only took Leaxpro for a month and then came off it? I am worried that I may feel the need to have it all the time and I dont want to put any more medicine into my body than I have to....

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should consider the possibility that the sleeping problems, spaced out feeling and emotional lability are due to the Sustiva (Efavirenz). These are fairly common side effects of Sustiva. Rather than starting another drug like Lexapro, you should discuss with your doctor the option of switching from Sustive to another antiretroviral drug.

In defence of HIV/AIDS.
Mental Health Issues and Starting Treatment