Atripla concern

Hi Doc,

I'm currently taking truvada and viramune and doing very well. I'm thinking about switching to Atripla so that I only have to take one pill everyday. My one concern is the nightmares, sleep problems I've heard about with Atripla. Do you think this is a reason not to switch? Do you see a lot of patients that have these problems with Atripla?

Thank you, ML

Response from Dr. Horwath

Atripla is a combination drug that contains efavirez (Sustiva), which commonly causes side effects such as sleep disturbance and nightmares. If you decide to switch, you should be prepared for the likelihood of such side effects.

On the question of switching, I would advise not switching from your current antiretrviral drugs because you are doing very well. You are inviting problems by switching away from medications that are working well and not causing adverse effects.

How do I deal with my mother with HIV
BIPOLAR