Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed, haplesss and impotence
Nov 30, 2007

I was diagnosed with HIV in 2004 and was immediately prepared to deal with the situation, I found proper medical attention and was able to speak openly about it with close friends. Since then however, I have become very numb and detached and I am afraid that my indifference may endanger somebody else. I have few friends in general, and none of them are HIV positive. It feels very alone, but I also have severe social anxiety which hinders going out and meeting other people. I have been seeing both a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist for the last three years and have not been able to overcome my habitual solitude. I need to feel empowered by being HIV positive, not hapless and impotent. Speaking of impotent, my sex life was great, even immediately after testing positive, but over the last two years it's sizzled out to the point where I can barely maintain an erection. I've become afraid of sex, of being rejected and of harming someone else. Affectively, every time I'm placed in a sexual situation I clam up, almost in revulsion. The therapists, psychiatrists and MD know this but it doesn't get any better. Some friendly advice would be nice. -27 and frustrated in California

Response from Dr. Horwath

The prospect of being intimate appears to frighten you. This may help to explain your isolation and the sexual problems. I advise you to focus on this issue in your treatment. You are not likely to have healthy sexual function if you are extremely frightened as you describe. This will require some careful attention in yur treatment.

Previous
memeory loss
Next
My son

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.