finding a shrink

I have been HIV+ for 8 years and have been struggling with depression and anxiety the whole time... I need to find a psychiatrist who is willing to prescribe xanax. I have taken this before and i know it helps with anxiety and depression and i feel so much better when i'm on meds, but i don't know how to approach the subject without looking like i'm a drug addict and without having to see the guy 10 times before he'll prescribe...What is a tactful way i can approach this subject?..I am just starting haart again after a 2 year break and the anxiety is through the roof...HELP

Response from Dr. Horwath

The best way to approach this is to be open and honest about the difficulties you're having. If you are suffering from severe anxiety, then an anti-anxiety medication or some other type of treatment may be indicated. But you need to be evaluated and let the doctor decide. If you go in demanding Xanax, you will be more likely to face resistance.

Is there a support group for alcoholics with hiv/aids?
dyskinesia