Hypomania and Chantix

Hi! I am hiv positive and hypomanic. I am on Seroquel (25mg small dose but really helpful), lithium (900 mg), Sustiva and Combivir (usual doses). I am currentely undectable and very stable on bipolar.

On the negative side, my lipids are not that great, so I am being encouraged to quit smoking.

I am interested in tying Chantix, since Zyban did not work for me before. Is an option for me or it is too risky?

I am particularly concerned with the following risks:

1) Interaction with the meds I am currentely in. 2) Liver damage 3) Mania trigger.

If the risk is manageable (mainly the mania, the first one did not appear to be a problem from what I understood from the literature), what are the signs of danger and what should I do if something wrong happens.

I am worried about it since I am living in a resource limited community where people cannot afford expensive psychiatric meds so doctors have no clinical experience or even information about these issues.

Best Regards S.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should not have a problem with drug interactions, liver damage or triggering mania. Based on the potential benefits of stopping smoking, you have good reason to give it a try. There does not appear to be a substantial downside to giving Chantix a trial.

HIV test results
what can i do