Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

does valtrex affect HIV antibody test result?
Sep 2, 2007

Dear Dr. Ewald, In April 2001, i was mistakengly diagnosed as HSV2 positive, and they gave me valtrex for fifteen days, one capsule every day. I have been reading your archives, some one asking about combinations of citalopram and alcohol. I had an exposure 6 years ago and I got tested seven times and everytime the HIV elisa antibody test result is negative, I used vatlrex only once in 2001 for fifteen days. I used to drink alcohol everyday and even take citalopram 20 mg every day.

So Does the combination(valtrex for fifteen days in 2001, alcohol and citalopram affect the HIV antibody test result? I am really worried as to what to do, could you please answer. After 7 negative elisa HIV tests in the past 6 years, i dont know what else should i get tested for. The exposure i had was more than six years ago, i have no signs or symptoms, except my depression factor.

Response from Dr. Horwath

After 7 negative tests, you can be confident that the results are accurate. The Valtrex you took in 2001 has nothing to do with your test results.

Previous
girl born with HIV?
Next
Living with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.