Personal Advice

So for as long as I can remember I have dreamt of pursuing a career in medicine. It is the only think I have ever realy wanted to do in life, but a few months ago that changed. I was diagnosed with HIV, which came as a huge shock as a result of a single unfortunate night. Anyway, I know this may be a stupid or ignorant question, but I would really like your opinion: Should I still pursue a career as a physician since I'm HIV positive? Would this career be putting myself or others in danger? Are there any laws or rules saying I can't? Thank you so much for your help; I will be a sophmore in college this year and if I can't pursue medicine, I need to chose a new plan...

Response from Dr. Horwath

There are no rules or laws against pursuing your goal. Some things to consider are the long hours of studying and training involved in medicine. You may not have the energy or endurance if you become ill. You also need to be honest with yourself and your future patients. Some specialties, like surgery may place your patients at some risk. Hopefully, you will enjoy many years of health and you will be able to do many of the things that you have dreamed about.

hiv and i am not
Follow Up