Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Personal Advice
Aug 26, 2007

So for as long as I can remember I have dreamt of pursuing a career in medicine. It is the only think I have ever realy wanted to do in life, but a few months ago that changed. I was diagnosed with HIV, which came as a huge shock as a result of a single unfortunate night. Anyway, I know this may be a stupid or ignorant question, but I would really like your opinion: Should I still pursue a career as a physician since I'm HIV positive? Would this career be putting myself or others in danger? Are there any laws or rules saying I can't? Thank you so much for your help; I will be a sophmore in college this year and if I can't pursue medicine, I need to chose a new plan...

Response from Dr. Horwath

There are no rules or laws against pursuing your goal. Some things to consider are the long hours of studying and training involved in medicine. You may not have the energy or endurance if you become ill. You also need to be honest with yourself and your future patients. Some specialties, like surgery may place your patients at some risk. Hopefully, you will enjoy many years of health and you will be able to do many of the things that you have dreamed about.

Previous
hiv and i am not
Next
Follow Up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.