hiv and i am not

I am a young gay guy that is talking to someone that is currently hiv pos. To be honest it freaks me out that i like this person and they have hiv. I am scared I could be at risk. We started talking and he told me right out the gate about him, which in away i am thanking god he did. If we have sex i use protection. but what are other risk that i need to be aware of. what can i do from not getting it. I really like this guy we click on so many levels, he says he is health enough where he does not need meds and he goes to get check ups on a regular. He eats right and takes care of him self. which is a good thing. so what can i do to keep from getting it and what can i do to help him with his health. It funny I find someone I like and i find myself wanting to get to know him more and still being aware of the risk.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The most important action for you to take is to use protection during sex. Using condoms during sex protects you from HIV infection, but it may not be 100% protection (eg. it is possible that the condom breaks or leaks). If you decide to become sexually involved with someone who is HIV positive, you do assume a small risk. I don't believe that this is a reason not to be involved in a relationship, but you do need to know that sexual activity does carry some risk of infection.

Other activities, like kissing, sharing meals or drinking from the same cup are not associated with a risk of transmitting HIV infection.

HIV and hearing loss
Personal Advice