Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and i am not
Aug 23, 2007

I am a young gay guy that is talking to someone that is currently hiv pos. To be honest it freaks me out that i like this person and they have hiv. I am scared I could be at risk. We started talking and he told me right out the gate about him, which in away i am thanking god he did. If we have sex i use protection. but what are other risk that i need to be aware of. what can i do from not getting it. I really like this guy we click on so many levels, he says he is health enough where he does not need meds and he goes to get check ups on a regular. He eats right and takes care of him self. which is a good thing. so what can i do to keep from getting it and what can i do to help him with his health. It funny I find someone I like and i find myself wanting to get to know him more and still being aware of the risk.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The most important action for you to take is to use protection during sex. Using condoms during sex protects you from HIV infection, but it may not be 100% protection (eg. it is possible that the condom breaks or leaks). If you decide to become sexually involved with someone who is HIV positive, you do assume a small risk. I don't believe that this is a reason not to be involved in a relationship, but you do need to know that sexual activity does carry some risk of infection.

Other activities, like kissing, sharing meals or drinking from the same cup are not associated with a risk of transmitting HIV infection.

Previous
HIV and hearing loss
Next
Personal Advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.