Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and hearing loss
Aug 23, 2007

Is there any scientific evidence that HIV infection can cause hearing loss? I was diagnosed hiv+ in 1986 and have been asymptomatic ever since. However, about five years ago my hearing started to deteriorate and has progressively become worse to the present situation where my hearing loss is severe to profound. I started with ARVs about 4 years ago (after hearing loss started) when my cd4 count hovered around 250/300 with a high viral load and I was not feeling too well. I have responded very well to treatment from the beginning with cd4 above 900 and undetectable viral load. My hearing loss is of a sesorineural nature and neurological nerve conduction tests suggest a lesion in my hearing nerve. Could this have been caused by HIV and since my hearing continues to deteriorate, could ARVs be potentially ototoxic? I am 52 years old.

Response from Dr. Horwath

There have been several reports that suggest that sensorineural hearing loss occurs in 21 to 49% of HIV-infected patients. The type of hearing loss in HIV patients tends to be high frequency hearing loss. This type of hearing loss does not interfere with speech recognition. HIV infection of the brain or auditory nerve may be a contrbutor to this type of hearing loss. In general, the antiretrovirals are not ototoxic.

Previous
Death of Husband
Next
hiv and i am not

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.