ARV Rx

Hi, I was recently diagnosed HIV positive; I am feeling very anxious not only about the idea of being HIV + but also about the life style I am going to deal with the treatment. I understand the ARV cocktail has a lot of side horrible effects, not to mention about the amount of pills that we are supposed to take, food restrictions, etc. Is it important to take the medication before AIDS appears?

Response from Dr. Horwath

The antiretroviral medications do have side effects, but they are not severe or horrible for most people. If you have an adverse reaction to one of the medications, then your doctor may be able to find another medication that works better for you. In recent times, the treatments have been improved so that fewer pills are required. Most people do better in the long run if they start the medications before they develop complications like opportunistic infections. You should see your doctor on a regular basis so that he can monitor you and advise you when to start treatment.

Coping with a partners anger
cd-4 count/vl same