Meds

Hello, I am a HIV+ male who is 40 years old. My CD4 count is 390. I am not taking meds (I was but decided to stop) I have not told my doctor that I stopped taking the meds, what can I expect as far as my quality of life without meds. I am 5'11, 185 lbs and in general good health, although I do smoke.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It's difficult to predict what will happen to you. What is known is that antiretroviral medications have greatly decreased the rate of opportunistic infections, a better quality of life and also greatly decreased mortality due to HIV. Compared to those who don't take meds, people with AIDS who take antiretroviral medications do much better.

So, although there's no way to predict your own course of HIV infection, you are likely to do much better with meds than without. Whatever you decide, you should tell your doctor what you're doing. You need him to monitor your health whether you take meds or not.

By the way, with a CD4 count of 390, your doctor may advise you to stay off the meds for now. Whatever you do, please discuss it with your doctor and make a decision with his advice rather than without it.

Rapid Test
HIV and brain