Dear Dr. Horwath

Hi Dr. Horwath, Im in great need of you to respond to my question, I have been looking for answers online, and from my doctor but those answers so far are quite vague. Im on Norvir (100) Reyataz (300) and truvada, I have been since september of 06, as my T-Cell count was 200 I have been pos since 11-15-05 and recently started treatment, right now im experiecning SEVERE depression and SEVERE anxiety, I dont know whats to blame but I do know since taking my meds ive gotten depressed and more depressed and right now I feel worse than horrible, I dont know whats keeping me from ending my life right now is it possible that the meds im taking is making me feel this way? I also have frequent panic attacks during the day and crying spells at night, Im in sooo much pain.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The drugs you're taking are not known for causing depression or anxiety. These symptoms are sometimes associated with efavirenz, but are also quite common problems in general.

You need to have a psychiatric evaluation to see if there are other causes for your symptoms, for example some other medical cause. Sometimes no cause can be found for depression or anxiety, but treatment is required nonetheless. Current treatments for depression and anxiety are quite effective, and should help you to feel better soon.

Can ambition be supportive?
Daughter and Stigma