The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sons drifting away

Jul 2, 2007

I am HIV positive. I was diagnosed 10 months back and did very well after initial serious hospitalisation. My 2 sons aged 14 and 15 went through the trauma of my illness. I have been very loving and close to the boys but i now find them drifting away as they probably find more and more about HIV. I am very affraid of potential stigmatiziation which is severe in this culture. Unfortunately there is no HIV counsellor or mental health person around specialising in HIV. I can take them to my regular psychiatrist.

Can you offer any advise because i find them drifting away disturbing. Also they seem to be avoiding petting and kissing which is OK again in the cultural context.

I dont want them to loose me and i dont want me to loose them. You think i should curtail my advocacy activities which are essential for the rising epidemic in this country and absence of educated people engaging in advocacy to defend the interests of HIv positive individuals.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I don't think your children need a psychiatrist. They need some time with you to explain exactly what your HIV+ status means. They need some education about HIV and a chance to discuss the subject. At the moment, you don't know what's going on with them and you need to learn more before you conclude that they have a mental health problem.

Best friend needs a wakeup call
Why has personal behavior structure not been discussed as to HIV infection?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint