effexor and sleep problems?

hi there, I have been poz since 1999 and on effexor since about the same time, due to depression and anxiety. in the last few years, I have developed sleep related problems such as insomnia and periodic limb movement disorder. I have tried to figure out if these conditions can be or are related to the hiv itself, but have come up empty handed on this theory. I am now wondering if the effexor I am on, could be contributing to it. Have you heard of any connection between effexor and the above mentioned sleep problems?

thank you

Response from Dr. Horwath

Effexor should not start causing insomnia after taking it for several years.

Insomnia and movement disorders can be caused by HIV, however. You should consult with your doctor about these problems. Trazodone can be very helpful for the insomnia associated with HIV. Ask your doctor.

Is there a way to tell when it's all about to be over.
A Healthy Dose of Reality